Old St. Joseph’s archives were moved in July of 2009 for better and safer keeping at the St. Joseph’s University Archival Libary. We still welcome genealogical inquiries through us since a volunteer member of our archival staff travels frequently to St. Joseph’s University to research inquiries. Although incomplete, the Old St. Joseph’s archives contain more than 23,000 baptism and marriage records dating from 1758 to present day.
For a complete listing of our archival book collection please click here to access the list. If you are interested in viewing any of the books in the collection, please call 215-923-1733 to make an appointment.
If you are seeking a baptism record AFTER February 1963 or a marriage record AFTER January 1, 1974,
- Email your request to Anthony Corvaia
- Or call 215-923-1733 a member of the staff will respond promptly to your request at no charge since theses records are located at the church.
Please include the following information in your request:
- For baptismal records, give the complete name of the person baptized, the names of parents, and approximate date of birth.
- For marriage records, give the names of the bride and groom, the names of the parents (if known), and the approximate date of the marriage.
- If you are uncertain about your information, give as much information as you know.
If you are seeking a baptism record PRIOR TO February 1963, or a marriage record PRIOR TO January 1, 1974,
- Click here to download and complete our Archival Research Form
- Mail your completed form with payment to: OSJ Archivist, Old St. Joseph’s Church, 321 Willings Alley, Philadelphia PA 19106.
- Please include with your request a check for $25 payable to Old St. Joseph’s Historic Preservation Corporation.
If you have access to Records of the American Catholic Historical Society, often available in Catholic libraries or local genealogical or historical societies, the following sacramental records of Old St. Joseph’s are published in Volumes I to XVIII, 1884-1907.
Baptisms 1758-1810, except 1787-1790
Marriages 1758-1836, except 1787-1799
In addition, the pre-1800 records of Old St. Joseph’s have been published in alphabetical form in Catholic Trails West, Vol. 1, by Edmund Adams and Barbara Brady O’Keefe, Genealogical Publishing Company: Baltimore, 1988.