Mission Statement

Old St. Joseph’s Historic Preservation Corporation (OSJHPC) seeks to promote public understanding of the significance of Old St. Joseph’s in shaping America’s religious, intellectual, civic and cultural history since its founding in 1733, including the contributions of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) in America, through publications, public programs, and preservation of the site. To fulfill this mission, the corporation documents, interprets and publicizes the site’s history; and maintains and preserves the physical structures – the 1789 Clergy House, the 1839 Church, the 1851 college, and the central courtyard.

Bernard loved the valleys, Benedict loved the mountains; Francis the towns, Ignatius loved great cities. -an old Jesuit proverb

Our Accomplishments

Since 1992, the Corporation has received contributions, bequests and grants that funded asbestos removal in the rectory, renovation of the sacristy and first floor of the rectory, replacement of bell in the tower, new rectory roof, repair of failing 1838 roof trusses, conservation of historic stained glass, conservation of the church masonry, renovation of parish hall, kitchen and courtyard. The Corporation has also funded conservation of historic engravings, paintings and artifacts, including the personal bible of founder Fr. Joseph Greaton, S.J., and the sacramental records of Fr. Ferdinand Farmer, S.J., from 1758-1786. It also funded a Facilities Report and a Historic Structure Report to assist the board in long-range planning. The Corporation publishes Notes from the Alley, a bi-annual Newsletter.

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Rev. Daniel Joyce, S.J.
Gregory Alexander, Esq., Treasurer
Lorraine Knight
Carmen R. Croce
Robert Palestini, D.Ed.
Dennis Faucher, Esq.
Boyd Petterson, A.I.A.
Ed Grusheski

Inquiries may be directed to Fr. Daniel Ruff, S.J., President, at 215-923-1733, druff@oldstjoseph.org.

Ignatius loved the great cities; they were where the transformation of the human community was taking place, and he wanted Jesuits to be involved in the process.” -Thomas Lucas, Landmarking: City, Church and Jesuit Strategy. Chicago: Loyola Press, 1997.

Support Our Efforts

You can support the preservation of the “Church in the Alley” through a donation to Old St. Joseph’s Historic Preservation (OSJHPC), a 501(c)3 corporation classified as a public charity.Grants, Major Gifts, donations of stock or property – or modest donations as a gesture of support – are gratefully accepted. Please remember Old St. Joseph Historic Preservation Corporation in your will.

Old St. Joseph’s Historic Preservation
321 Willings Alley
Philadelphia, PA 19106
215-923-1733

Remember the days of old, consider the days long past. Proverbs 32.7